This section is intended as a resource for members seeking or promoting employment, training and/or professional development in the field of toxicology.
University of Glasgow
Forensic Toxicologist vacanciesThere are Forensic Toxicologist vacancies at the Department of Forensic Medicine and Science, University of Glasgow.
Please go to the University of Glasgow Current Vacancies webpage for more details (www.gla.ac.uk/it/iframe/jobs/) or contact Hazel Torrance (email@example.com).
Eurofins Forensic Services
Laboratory Manager – Toxicology
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: Teddington
- Contract: Permanent
- Hours: 37.5 per week
- Closing date: 27 th September 2018
- Vacancy Reference: EURO144
Eurofins Scientific is a leading international group of laboratories with over EUR 3.5 billion annual sales and nearly 40,000 employees with a network of 400 laboratories in over 40 countries. Eurofins has a network of over 30sites in the UK and the Group provides an unparalleled range of over 100,000 reliable and validated analytical methods and support services to the pharmaceutical, food, environmental and consumer product industries, and to governments.
Eurofins Scientific acquired the forensic arm of LGC Group in October 2017 and Eurofins Forensic Services (EFS) was created as a discrete business within the Eurofins group. EFS employees nearly 700 staff across 7 sites in the UK and is the market leader for the provision of forensic services to the Police forces of England and Wales, as well as other commercial organisations and public sector bodies and is the largest private forensic service provider in Europe. All of our forensic analytical services are accredited to the ISO17025 international quality standard and are subject to regular review and scrutiny by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).
The Forensic Toxicology team is responsible for the analysis of body fluids and other biological material for alcohol, drugs and poisons in a wide range of criminal cases. We are looking for a Laboratory Manager to join our dedicated team.
To provide effective management of the operational activities of the analytical section of the Toxicology Team.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Manage analytical workflow so that results are returned to customers within required turnaround times, initiating process changes to achieve this where necessary.
- Ensure all analytical work is carried out according to standard operating procedures/ ISO 17025 requirements and that results meet quality guidelines
- Assist with implementation of new methods and equipment, processes and procedures to ensure that it meets the changing requirements of CJS.
- Assist Business Unit Manager monitoring performance of the laboratory to achieve organisational goals as demonstrated through key performance indicators.
- Manage staff in accordance with organisational policies and applicable regulations. Provide line management to a team of Senior Examiners, address training and development needs, evaluate performance and provide appraisal.
- Ensure that all standard operating procedures and accreditation documentation relating to the analytical processes are kept up to date and liaise with auditors during audits
- Ensure that the laboratory is adequately stocked, and all standards and reagents are in date, stored and used appropriately.
- Ensure that all equipment is covered by an appropriate maintenance contract, that equipment is fit for purpose and that suitability and performance checks are carried out as appropriate.
- Ensure cleanliness of all laboratory areas in accordance with good laboratory practice and anti-contamination procedures.
- Supervise and monitor training, mentoring and advice to team members.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Technical Skills
- Chemistry degree or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in analytical chemistry environment
- Minimum 1 year experience providing line management
- Communication – Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Delivering results
- Openness to change/ managing change
- Planning and organisation
Preferred Knowledge, Experience and Technical Skills
- Previous experience in Forensic Toxicology
- Previous experience under ISO17025 and ILAC G19 accreditation
- Previous experience of operational management of a laboratory
- Previous use of the following software: MassHunter, Chemstation and Analyst.
- Full commitment to and demonstration of upholding Eurofins values, Customer Focus, Quality, Competence, Team Spirit and Integrity.
- Demonstrate initiative; adopt a proactive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Good attention to detail, well organised and determined.
- Manage a flexible workload and show high levels of personal resilience.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, cooperation, sharing information and teamwork.
- Promote the adoption of continuous improvement through ongoing review of processes and procedures.
- Act as a role model.
- Willing to take on extra duties or responsibilities for the team/department.
Due to the highly sensitive nature of the work, applicants should note that security clearance will be required for this role. To gain security clearance you must have at least three years continuous residency in the UK. Criminal convictions may prevent you from gaining security clearance. This role may in addition require random alcohol/drug screening.
To apply, please forward your CV to: Emma.Pagdin@LGCgroup.com.